Monday, December 1, 2008

Employer Values and Employee expectations

I recently ran across an organization that insists on having their employees and prospective employees agree to certain behaviors and values. I found the process intriguing and thought I would share what I learned about their expectations and some thoughts on what it means from both the employer and employee perspectives. The list was fairly extensive so I will have to break the list up into parts, in no particular order:

  • Effective communications- to include active listening to others; responding to others with "a sense of caring and respect"; keeping others informed; conveying information clearly, concisely and respectfully in speaking and in writing; encouraging and modeling open dialogue; to be positive and supportive in all communications; and displays a willingness to share opinions and or concerns with "positive intent".

This would be tough for some I have worked with in the past as they cherish the opportunity for back stabbing and other modes of back channel communications. Their intent was often not positive in nature.

  • Demonstrates Teamwork- This includes working collaboratively with others rather than working separately competitively or adversely. Emphasis is given to working to build collaborative relationships across all functional lines to meet mutually agreed upon goals.

Clearly teamwork can be closely related to the first value of communications. As an employer setting expectations early on in a relationship with your human resources can provide you with an advantage later on should behaviors not aligned with these values crop up.

I have to emphasize that this is not my list but that of a organization I have a great deal of respect for, and one that is highly successful in their given niche.

I will provide the next increment of this list shortly.

No comments: