Monday, October 3, 2011

Anniversary

I have celebrated many anniversaries in the past but clearly I will not be celebrating this one.

I have worked with a small business for just over 10 years, mostly for free, with the expectation that I would have access to its resources for which I am licensed to have. I have done this at no expense to the organization and in fact have taken a loss nearly every year for my efforts.

I was happy to do this with the understanding that I could bring in new business and help them solve issues when they arose. Very recently I was removed from the roles as a leader in the organization having pre-dated the current ownership and most of the current staff.

So why be upset by this? Quite simply, they removed me without telling me why. Realizing that I am not as accessible as I used to be given that I work full time outside of what any normal human being would consider a reasonable distance from home. That said, I am not out of touch or unreachable by any measure and would still try my best to be helpful. Instead, the situation turned contentious unnecessarily.

Maybe the best advice is to "get over it" but this one really hurts. Maybe it is "not personal, just business" but I do not subscribe to that theory at all. Never have.

No comments: